Will low voltage turn off 5V rail if ENABLE5VSBOFF=no?

220 Watt DC-DC ATX Power Supply
JeffW

Postby JeffW » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:50 am

I'm using S3 standby on the computer when the car is off, so I have ENABLE5VSBOFF set to 0, to keep the 5V rail hot. If my battery drains past the LOWVOLTS threshold during standby, will the DSATX shut down the 5V supply in this case?

Re: Will low voltage turn off 5V rail if ENABLE5VSBOFF=no?

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:35 am

JeffW wroteColonI'm using S3 standby on the computer when the car is off, so I have ENABLE5VSBOFF set to 0, to keep the 5V rail hot. If my battery drains past the LOWVOLTS threshold during standby, will the DSATX shut down the 5V supply in this case?

It will not look at Vin at this point. The DSATX basically goes to sleep and leaves 5VSB on. During this time it stops looking at the rails.

Is this a problem for you?

JeffW

Postby JeffW » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:47 pm

Makes sense, thanks for the info. It's not a problem that I've actual run into, but it would give me more peace of mind if I knew that my battery would be protected from over drainage if left for a long time in standby. It draws 100mA in standby from the 5V, and I may go a week without driving. I suppose I can just hit my kill switch when these situations arise.

pmp99t
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:00 pm

Postby pmp99t » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:11 pm

I have the same issue as the previous post I am using S3 resume mode. I would like it to keep the 5V rail on but also protrect my battery. I have ENABLESLEEP set to disabled and ENABLE5VSBOFF disabled to keep the 5v on. Will this configuration protect my battery from being drained or is that even possible? I've had my battery drained a couple of times now and I am very concerned about it happening again. I am little confused about the diffrent advanced settings, documentation is a little light.

zootjeff
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 44
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:52 am
LocationCOLON Portland OR
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Will low voltage turn off 5V rail if ENABLE5VSBOFF=no?

Postby zootjeff » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:12 pm

pmp99t wroteColonI have the same issue as the previous post I am using S3 resume mode. I would like it to keep the 5V rail on but also protrect my battery. I have ENABLESLEEP set to disabled and ENABLE5VSBOFF disabled to keep the 5v on. Will this configuration protect my battery from being drained or is that even possible? I've had my battery drained a couple of times now and I am very concerned about it happening again. I am little confused about the diffrent advanced settings, documentation is a little light.

It is possible but the feature is not yet implemented. That is basically a new mode. The problem with that mode, is that it will drain your battery every time and it takes a bunch of "tweaking" to find the right voltage that it will cutout and still let your car start the next day..

Return to